Katie Gerber is a holistic nutrition coach, certified herbalist, and avid outdoor adventurist. She's thru-hiked many long distance trails, including the Pacific Crest Trail (2,650 mi), the Oregon Desert Trail (750 mi), and the Colorado Trail (567 miles). And this summer she's setting out to tackle the Continental Divide Trail (3100 mi).
Her journey as an athlete with Hashimoto's disease, a rattlesnake bite, and various other trials of the trail and training, inspires her to help other adventurers to optimize their health, regardless of their past or diagnoses, to feel great and do more of what they love.
In addition to her private coaching practice, Katie runs an online course called Adventure Ready (*see footnote for $40 off), and writes for several outdoors and health publications, including MindBodyGreen, Wishgarden Herbs, and the Trek. She also serves as Vice President of the American Long Distance Hiking Association-West.
* Use the code "RUMBLELIFE" for $40 off. This is not an affiliate link (nothing against it, but I don't take commissions).
Follow Katie's story on Instagram: @katiegerber
Visit Katie's blog and find out more at: http://katiegerber.com
- 2:20 - Snakebite
- 4:43 - Staying Calm When Things Go Wrong
- 7:57 - Getting Into Long Distance Hiking
- 12:00 - Health Issues
- 18:06 - Diet Changes
- 31:13 - Prepping for a 3.5 Month Trek
- 38:50 - Freeze-Dried Foods
- 42:28 - Other Hiker’s Reactions
- 47:37 - Packing The Essentials/Cutting Pack Weight
- 55:19 - Bare Essentials is a Liberating Experience
- 1:00:08 - Importance of Sleep
- 1:06:46 - Additional Tips for Preparing for an Adventure
- 1:10:01 - Optimal Adrenal Function
- 1:11:59 - Conditioning
- 1:17:27 - Prescription for a Perfect Day
- 1:19:16 - Adventure Ready Course